I’m a fiction copy editor and proofreader
Copy editing and proofreading fiction is my speciality. I currently have four years of experience copy editing and proofreading novels and short stories for independent fiction writers in the genres fantasy, horror, and drama. It means if you’ve written a story I’m the right kind of editor to work on it.
I’m a member of a professional editing and proofreading society
I’m an entry-level member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP). Being a member of the SfEP helps me keep up to date with trends among editors and proofreaders and networking with these likeminded professionals. It gives me routes towards continuing professional development: learning, qualifications, and best working practices that I otherwise wouldn’t have had.
Experience and qualifications
- I’ve worked on fiction projects before. I’ve worked with independent authors before. I know how to handle authors and book projects. Your book is in safe hands.
- I’ve qualifications in copy editing, proofreading, and fiction editing, from the Society for Editors and Proofreaders and the Publishing Training Centre.
See the page Experience and Qualifications.
People like to work with me
You can read what others have said about working with me on my Testimonials page. In brief, they were pleased with my reliable communication, my thorough work, and the quality of the delivered work.
Indie publishing background
Having written, formatted, and self-published my own books from 2012, I know what it’s like to write, self-edit, prepare a cover, and format a book for publishing. As an author I contacted reviewers, booked stalls at events, and knew some of the legal and insurance requirements. My experience did teach me about the quality and presentation readers expect of writing and I subsequently became well-versed in fiction editing.
- I know what it’s like to be an author, and I know how to meet your needs. As a result, I can make the writing and publishing process easier for you.
- Because I wrote, formatted, and published my own books I learnt some formatting and editing tools before taking formal qualifications, and I learnt best practice for writing and publishing books.
- When writing professionals work together it can increase knowledge of writing and editing for both of us, and can potentially maximise your book opportunities.
- I understand the importance of copy editing and proofreading prior to publishing and book reviews, where your book will meet discerning reviewers who won’t be satisfied with a book that is only good; they’ll give it a critical analysis that is in public view.
I’m a book person
I’m a huge fan of reading science fiction and fantasy, and know what to expect in terms of genre, quality, and comparable books. I’ve read books and guides that have helped me separate good writing from writing that will benefit from editorial suggestions. I’ve a good working knowledge of some subgenres, in particular sword-and-planet, heroic fantasy, epic fantasy, dark fantasy, horror, science fiction, science fantasy, space opera, and dystopian.
I have Asperger Syndrome
Being on the autism spectrum means I think differently to your average editor. Some of my personal qualities are my honesty, reliability, and dedication. I like being clear and polite about project requirements. I excel at single repetitive tasks, though I realise the need to balance this with good judgement. My mechanical approach towards consistency makes sure your story is well polished, correct, and consistent, without compromising on good judgement.