Choose Alex James
I’m a fiction copy editor and proofreader
Helping fiction authors is my speciality. I’m the right kind of editor to work on your story. I currently have four years of experience copy editing and proofreading novels for independent fiction writers in the genres fantasy and horror.
I know editing best practice
I’m an entry-level member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP). Being a member of the SfEP helps me keep up to date with trends, working practices, networking, and continuing professional development.
Experience and qualifications
- I’ve worked on fiction projects before, so I know what I’m doing.
- I’ve worked with independent authors before, and know how to handle authors and book projects.
- I’ve qualifications in copy editing, proofreading, and fiction editing, from the Society for Editors and Proofreaders and the Publishing Training Centre.
See the page Experience and Qualifications.
Authors like to work with me
Why? I’m friendly, honest, professional, and dedicated to delivering quality services.
Or you can read what authors have said about working with me on my Testimonials page.
Indie publishing background
Having written, formatted, and self-published my own books from 2012, I know what it’s like to write, self-edit, prepare a cover, and format a book for publishing. As an author I contacted reviewers, booked stalls at events, and knew some of the legal and insurance requirements. My experience did teach me about the quality and presentation readers expect of writing and I subsequently became well-versed in fiction editing.
- I know what it’s like to be an author, and I know how to best meet your needs. As a result, I can make the writing and publishing process easier for you.
- Because I wrote, formatted, and published my own books I learnt some formatting and editing tools before taking formal qualifications, and I learnt best practice for writing and publishing books.
- When writing professionals work together it can increase knowledge for both and potentially maximise your book opportunities.
- I understand the importance of book reviews.
I’m a book person
I’m a huge fan of reading science fiction and fantasy, and know what to expect in terms of genre, quality, and comparable books. I’ve read books and guides that have helped me separate good writing from writing that will benefit from editorial suggestions. I’ve a good working knowledge of some subgenres, in particular sword-and-planet, heroic fantasy, epic fantasy, dark fantasy, horror, science fiction, science fantasy, space opera, and dystopian.